Plum Kuchen Recipe
2 Sticks of Butter (softened to room temperature)
1/2 Cups of Powdered Sugar
2 Cups of Flour
2-3 Fresh, Ripe Plums
*Optional: ~1 Tablespoon of Granulated Sugar for Sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Cream together softened butter and powdered sugar in a bowl using hands or a mixer.
3. Add in flour until dough is smooth.
4. Spread dough out into a greased pan. Be sure to spread it out evenly and about 1/4” thickness throughout the pan.
5. Slice the fresh plums into slivers, about 1/4”-1/2” in thickness. Splay them around the pie in a radial pattern.
6. If you want to add a bit of sweetness to the pie to contrast the tartness of the plums, and a gentle dusting of granulated sugar over the plums before baking the pie.
5. Bake the pie until there is a light golden brown across the surface of the crust and the plums look cooked, which is about 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove the pie from the oven to cool.
This is not the traditional German kuchen recipe, but rather a recipe that uses the same shortbread pie crust recipe as the Lemon Pie. The buttery, rich crust is a great contrast to the sweet and tart flavors of the plum, and is much easier to make!
Oma used to make this recipe in the summer once Plums came into season.